Sunday, February 28, 2010

Help Wanted

Unfortunately "Help Wanted" signs are not too common in storefront windows in these times of economic stress. There are plenty of helpers with desire, but very few opportunities to contribute. However, this last week I have noticed different "Help Wanted" requests and it all started with a beautiful pink hat.

HELP WANTED: a prayer. I just happened to walk by our office foyer and noticed a client waiting for an appointment. The bright pink hat with a flower attached caught my attention immediately...combined with that "look" in her eyes. I knew that look and my heart ached for her. After her appointment, Steve confirmed my suspicions. She was in advanced stages of cancer and treatments. That night I offered a prayer on behalf of a total stranger. Quite often I express such prayers. I have asked for blessings on anyone who is having a chemo treatment that day, or anyone that has just heard the news of their condition. Through our faith, I think Heavenly Father blesses those we don't know just as much as the loved ones we constantly remember in our prayers.

HELP WANTED: a teeter-totter dad. My boss's son was in my office last week helping with computer glitches. He was explaining how his life was so busy and so stressful, but that he had decided to take last Wednesday off work. He told his staff that he had something important to do. (This is a perfect MormonAd.) His three-year old son was ecstatic when they arrived at the local Play World and saw the balls, the slides, the inflatables,...you name it, they had it. This man spent several hours playing with his little boy. I'm not sure who was happier that night as they were safely tucked in their beds. It was a memorable day for both.

HELP WANTED: someone to notice. We went visiting teaching this week. I will admit, we have had the name of a new sister on our list for several months. We didn't do anything in November. In December we made a stop-by visit and introduced ourselves through the screen door. I sent a note in January. But for February, we really made the effort. She was very nice. In fact, her fifteen-year old daughter was "visit taught" as well as her husband who is not a member. Sharon and I didn't have to worry about carrying on a conversation. They just took over and visited with us. They seemed so genuinely happy that someone had finally noticed their presence in our community. That's all we want, isn't it?

HELP WANTED: someone at the right time, at the right place. Another sister we visit teach is Sis. Burgess. She is one of the sweetest elderly sisters I know. Her husband has not been well for over a year. But last week, he insisted on going outside to rake some leaves. Yes...you can guess what happened. His legs lost their strength and he went down. Sis. Burgess saw him from her kitchen window and rushed out to help. But being the short, fragile woman she is, she didn't have the muscle to raise him to his feet. Just then, a Roy City police officer drove by, noticed their plight and stopped to render service. Thankfully, Bro. Burgess is no worse off because of his fall. I would like to think that anyone in an "unmarked" car would have taken time to offer aid... not just a cop on duty.

"I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow-creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."

I need to live more by those famous words because "help wanted" signs are everywhere. Too often I close my eyes to those that are blinking for attention. I may not be able to "cure" the world, but I certainly can pray for a pink hat lady...somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment