Sunday, February 21, 2010

FHE, Ann Style

For one of my Personal Progress goals, I need to plan and present a Family Home Evening lesson on the topic of how it requires faith to be obedient to a gospel principle. My house plants and I could hold our own FHE, but it would be much nicer to share it with you.

Opening Song: Saturday is a special day, it's the day we get ready for Sunday. We clean the house, and we shop at the store, so we won't have to work until Monday. We brush our clothes, and we shine our shoes. And we call it our get-the-work-done day. Then we trim our nails and shampoo our hair so we can be ready for Sunday.

Opening Prayer:....do I need to remind you to fold your arms, close your eyes and bow your heads?

Scripture: Isaiah 58:13-14 (I will paraphrase) If we turn aside from doing our "own" thing on the Sabbath day and call it a delight, then God will bless us.

Lesson on the Sabbath Day:
1. The weekend. Is this technically the last day of the week or the first day of the week?... actually both. It commemorates the 7th day of the creation when God rested from His labors. But after the time of Christ, it became the first day of the week in celebration of the resurrection. At the end of the week, I find it a wonderful time to think back on the previous six days and take inventory of what I have done, or haven't done...a nice ending to the week. It is also a good first day, to plan for upcoming activities and responsibilites, repent and promise to do better...a nice beginning to the week. I think of it as a time to empty the "garbage" and fill up the "tank".

2. The Sabbath. The word Sabbath comes from the Hebrew word meaning day of rest. It's purpose is to give us a certain day of the week to direct our thoughts and actions toward God. It is not just a day to rest our physical bodies from work. But it is a day to energize our spiritual bodies for work. God gives us six days to take care of our temporal needs. It's only fair that we show our devotion to Him by giving one day back. And selfishly, isn't it wonderful to have a day away from the concerns of the world?

3. The Sunday. I didn't take the time to google the word "Sunday", so I will tell you how I feel about the noun. Whenever I see the word or speak it, I immediately think of the color yellow...because of the sun. It's a sunny day even if the clouds cover the rays. A couple of years ago, Elder Wirthlin gave a beautiful Conference talk saying: "I think that of all the days since the beginning of this world's history, that Friday [Christ's crucifixion] was the darkest." But he went on to say "The despair did not linger because on Sunday, the resurrected Lord burst the bonds of death." (Ensign November 2006 page 30). He ended by reminding us that no matter how dark our Friday is (or Tuesday or Wednesday...) Sunday will come. With Sunday comes the yellow rays of hope, spiritual energy, and renewal.

Testimony: It takes faith to observe the Sabbath day and to keep it holy (Exodus 20:8). We are all busy and could use some extra time. And to spend three straight hours in church, when we could be accomplishing something more immediate? May I share my testimony that the blessings come from honoring God on His day. Most every year I am faced with the temptation to spend at least one Sunday at work during tax season. The little devils are convincing that I won't be able to meet the April 15th deadline unless I put in extra hours on Sunday. But I learned quite a few years ago that he who honors God, God will honor (1 Samuel 2:30). I remember very well a Sunday before the 15th. While coworkers were busily adding, subtracting and calculating refunds, I spent the day (in faith) watching General Conference. I held on to the promise found in Isaiah, hoping that God would perform a miracle on my behalf. The following week as we faced the deadline, clients came forward asking for extensions; coworkers asked if they could help; I was able to get more done in less time. I know that Heavenly Father blessed me to do what I needed to do because I obeyed in faith.

Games: There are many good things we can do on the Sabbath. Unscramble the words to determine proper activities for the day. (I hope I didn't leave out important vowels or consonants... I will give you the answers in the next blog...remind me).

ttedan cchruh eemtgnis
erda hte pstruciser
siivt fymali
slinte ot dogo suicm
ymflai styohir
mlafiy mohe negnive
wtrie tteerls
pferrom hcurch cisvree
sert
uojanrls
ymflai cncloui

Refreshments: No Bake Cookies
2 cups sugar
1 cube butter
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup milk

Step 1: Mix sugar, milk and butter in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Step 2: Remove from heat and add vanilla, cocoa, and peanut butter. Mix well.
Step 3: Add oats and coconut, and stir until completely combined.
Step 4: Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper and let cool.

Closing prayer:...Gather your family around you tonight. After you say "amen" give them loves and kisses from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment