Sunday, January 31, 2010

Welcome: Chloe Grace

Today I would like to pay tribute to CFO's, RN's, and MBA's. But I am not talking about accountants, doctors and attorneys. I'm talking about a large group of people who have earned these titles, but have never printed their names on business cards. It's a special group of women called "mothers".

Several weeks ago I was asked to share some of my cancer experiences and perspective on adversity with the Young Women in our ward at their New Beginnings. That night they re-introduced the Personal Progress program. I loved their new booklets and the concept of setting goals, so I asked Sis. Bryan if I could participate. She readily agreed. I decided to work on "divine nature" first. One of the projects was to read several Conference talks on the role of women. Randomly I selected Sis. Beck's talk from April 2004. She began by describing her own mother, who during her single years, "devoted her life to progress". When the time came for marriage and children, "...all the knowledge she had acquired, all her natural abilities and gifts, all her skills were channeled into an organization that had no earthly bounds." (Ensign, May 2004). The word "organization" caught my attention. We give a lot of respect and honor to the huge corporations of the world: IBM, General Motors, Microsoft, and Nike. But by far, the greatest organization, regardless of size, is the family. And a co-owner of that organization is mother.

She has a PhD (Physical Health Director): Not only does she provide for our physical needs by being chef and tailor, but she is the physician and registered nurse for our wounded elbows and knees. She is the fitness trainer joining in jump rope or roller skating in the park. She may be our fashion consultant and hairdresser, or a psychologist.

She is a CFP (Chief Family Planner): Mothers are the alarm clocks in the morning and the bedtime storytellers at night. She coordinates her role as chauffeur and activities chairman. As she rules over the Board of Directors (the children) she plans Family Home Evenings; rotates the chore chart; juggles the dance lessons, Cub Scout derbies, visiting teaching, ward service project, Back to School Night and the yard work. Her "to do" list is much more extensive than Bill Gates!

She is a CPA (Caring Personal Advisor): Her qualification has come from being a two year old, a twelve year old, an eighteen year old, a new bride and a new mother herself. Plus she is blessed with added inspiration that comes as a gift from God. She came equipped with a padded shoulder to cry on, two listening pierced ears, a lip-glossed mouth speaking wisdom, a comfy lap to sit on, and arms to hold you safe.

She is an MD (Master of the Dictionary): If she doesn't know why caterpillars have six dozen legs, she either makes up an answer or goes to Google to find out. A woman of much knowledge, she can solve algebra equations, double check the spelling words, create a universe from paper mache, and give piano lessons. Down through the ages, we haven't sent our toddlers to walking school, or the speaking academy, or the "wave bye-bye" university. That's all learned at home.

She is an ATTY (A Testifying Teacher of Youth): Like the stripling warriors of the Book of Mormon, we know because we know our mothers know...

The idea of motherhood was reinforced on January 20th as we welcomed our newest little arrival, Chloe Grace Willoughby. What a doll! I wonder what she was doing on January 19th? What last minute preparations and advice was she being given in the spirit world...and by whom? Did she look down on her soon-to-be family and say, "No, please, don't send me there. The Singleton-Willoughby combo is a little too much for me!" Or has she been observing us for years and jumped for joy at the chance to be a part of our family? She must have known her father would give her piggy back rides. She must have known her mother would sing to her. She must have known her big brother would teach her to slam dunk. After seeing Chloe Grace this week, we are again reminded of the awesome responsibility, but eternal blessing, that comes with nurturing an innocent Child of God.

I am not Chloe's mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, sister or even aunt. I am about as "extended" as they come in this family. I guess officially, I am a great-aunt (or a GREAT!!!!! Aunt). I hope someday she will realize the love I have for her, because everyone can "mother" at times. I know I have been nurtured by great women this past year: my own mother, my sisters, my nieces, my aunts, my neighbors, my friends, my angel grandmothers.

The title "mother" is not appointed by the Chairman of the Board (unless you consider Heavenly Father). It's not earned by study at the university. It's not even just for those who have spent time in the hospital delivery room. It's an honor bestowed on anyone who's developed a "mother's heart".

"There is no limit to what a woman with a mother heart can accomplish. Righteous women have changed the course of history and will continue to do so, and their influence will spread and grow exponentially throughout the eternities." (Sis. Julie Beck, Ensign, May 2004). Won't Hayley be proud when Chloe Grace becomes president of the United States...or even more so, a wonderful mother herself.

2 comments:

  1. I started crying as I read this, Ann. Thanks for the great reminder of why I do what I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so well written! I often wonder if I am doing enough, saying enough, hug-and-kiss-ing enough, reading enough, loving enough...the list goes on. I am and ever will be grateful especially for those who touched my life in a way my own mother couldn't (though not for lack of trying). There is a special place in my heart for those, who have not been blessed with children of their own, because I think they are blessed with something extra. Something that I know I needed as I grew up. Thanks for being such a great example, and someone little Dax can look up to as he grows. We love you, Ann!

    ReplyDelete