Sunday, January 17, 2010

Don't Worry...

Last week as I was eating supper, I turned on the television for company. The viewing options were limited. I chose an episode of Wheel of Fortune. One contestant explained his appearance on the show was a result of his "bucket list" ( a list of things he wanted to do before he kicked the bucket). Unfortunately, he lost the game, but at least he had the satisfaction of a goal accomplished. It reminded me that several years ago I started my own bucket list. I searched for the scraps of paper I wrote on and want to share some ideas with you.

  • Take art lessons

  • Enter something in the Weber County Fair (...done that!)

  • Travel to Tahiti, Mount Rushmore and Heanor, England

  • Participate in walk/runs for charity

  • Invest $500,000 towards retirement (might as well aim high)

  • Open and operate a music store or studio

  • Go back to school

  • Visit some South America ruins

  • Attend a session in the Nauvoo Temple

  • Hike Diamond Head

  • Sing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

  • Install a swimming pool in the backyard

  • Volunteer as a Girls Scout leader

  • Take a hot air balloon ride

  • Shake the hand of the prophet

  • Find "Sarah" (as in...Sarah Singleton, born 1776)

  • Be a grandmother

This week's conference talk is Elder L. Tom Perry's found on page 7 of the November 2008 Ensign. "We can't predict all the struggles and storms in life, not even the ones just around the next corner, but as persons of faith and hope, we know beyond the shadow of any doubt that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true and the best is yet to come." Making a bucket list seems to indicate we believe such a principle. But...

No offense, but I think the most obnoxious song ever written and recorded is Don't Worry, Be Happy. Those lyrics are so annoying to those of us who have a lifetime membership in the Pessimistic Club. I am an expert in allowing fear to replace faith and worry to crowd out the happiness that is to be found in today and tomorrow.

Last Friday I had a three month checkup. The doctor pronounced my heart and lungs healthy. That is positive. It was suggested the pain in my shoulder was probably some sort of "...itis", i.e. arthritis or bursitis, not cancer related. That was positive. However, one of the lab tests measures protein levels in the blood and is used to see if cancer may be recurring. An acceptable level is between 0 and 40. After chemo and radiation last year, my baseline number was 26. In October, my level was 28. On Friday, the level had raised to 36. I thought to myself, if the trend continues, by my next three-month checkup, it will exceed the upper 40 limit. Okay, I'm starting to panic here.

As I have tried to calm down the last few days, I realize I have two choices. I could worry for three months about something beyond my control. Or, I could put the data in storage and start working on my list. Why waste 90 days of precious life worrying when I could be doing so much more...productively. But there is another problem. It is tax season. I really don't have time to fly to Brazil this time of year. As an alternative, I have decided to revise, simplify, and downsize the bucket to make it a "sand pail" size. It will be so much more fun than worrying.

  • Instead of taking art lessons, I will do the connect-the-dot puzzle in my newly acquired Friend magazine.

  • I'll try to walk around the Newgate Mall during lunch hours and at least think charitable thoughts.

  • I won't have time to spend money, so I will put $10 extra toward my half million retirement fund. Only $499,990 to go!

  • I have several Mo Tab CDs. I'll sing along with them as I drive to work each morning.

  • Once a week, I will wear my swimming suit in the bathtub.

  • I can visualize the Land of Nephi as I read my verses from the Book of Mormon.

During the next three months I will use the motto: "Don't let your worries get the best of you. Remember, Moses started out as a basket case." Oh, and one more revision to my list. Attending Primary is a lot like being a Grandmother. You play games, read stories and sing songs for an hour or two. Then you send them home for their mothers to deal with for the week. One more crossed off the list!



2 comments:

  1. Ann,my thoughts and prayers will be with you! I know that the Lord will be there for you! I wanted to thank you for your talk that you gave to the YW last Tuesday! I want you to know that I look up to and admire you and your strength! You are such an amazing Lady and I am grateful to be able to know you! Thanks so much for all you do for me! Love Your Sister Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bucket list. I think we all should have one of those (or maybe two versions of it). We'd all be better off if we started living and stopped worrying so much. Easier said than done, I suppose, but worth a try anyway. Keep us posted on your protein levels. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete