Saturday, December 5, 2009

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Barry Manilow offers a rousing rendition of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" each holiday season. I've heard it several times on KOZY already. It's inevitable that at this time of year with the earth rotating on it's axis, the northern hemisphere is farther away from the sun. Go figure...every December it is cold. I'm assuming that fact will not change for quite some time. (Contrary to scripture and tradition, I think the opposite of heaven won't be fiery hot, it will be freezing.) A cold-weather Christmas last year provided an opportunity for friends and family to give me gifts of warmth. Ilene gave me a furry bathrobe. Kathleen and family provided a fleece blanket and quilt. Linda purchased several warm hats for my hairless head. These were gifts that keep on giving...because I am still using them this year to ward off the chill. I received other gifts from you in the form of handmade pink scarves, pink hats, blankets, etc. All were very much appreciated.

I was also warmed by the spirit last Christmas through the constant re-reading of the October 2008 conference talks. In the next weeks and months, I would like to refer to some of my favorite thoughts and inspiration from those messages. Today I want to share a story from Bishop Keith B. McMullin.

"A few years ago a high-ranking official from China visited Salt Lake City, toured Church sites and spoke at Brigham Young University. Learning about the Church welfare program, he said, 'If we all loved each other like this, the world would be a more peaceful place.' Fasting and giving the value of the meals not eaten to help the poor captured his attention. At the conclusion of his visit to Welfare Square, he handed the manager a small red envelope -- a 'red pocket'. In China a 'red pocket' is given as a gesture of love, blessing, and a wish for good fortune. 'It does not contain much,' the visitor said, 'but it represents the money I have saved from missing breakfast the last two mornings. I would like to give my fast offering to the Welfare program of the Church'." (Ensign, November 2008 page 76)

"Warm Fuzzies" come in all shapes and sizes...from woolen caps to simple verbal expressions of friendship. Wouldn't it be a wonderful sight to see dozens of "red pockets" hanging from neighbors' doors this Christmas as a sign of "love, blessing and good fortune". Maybe a Family Home Evening would be a fun time to make your own "red pockets" (red envelopes from Office Max or folded construction paper stapled on the sides...) Or maybe, your "red pockets" won't be red at all. They will be in the form of a phone call to an acquaintance from years past, or a fresh batch of cookies left on the doorstep, or an offer to share an afternoon with someone less noticeable. I know you...you have your own way of distributing "red pockets", not only in December but in May and August as well.

It has been prophesied that in the last days, the hearts of men will "wax cold". Local news reports testify we are heading in that direction, quickly. And while "global warming" is an environmental concern, a little more global warming of hearts would help to counteract the coldness of humanity creeping in our neighborhoods. I am reminded of the words from the song In This Very Room. "In this very room there's quite enough love for one like me. And in this very room there's quite enough joy for one like me." The next verse expands to include all of us. Finally, "...in this very room there's quite enough love for all the world...And there's quite enough hope and quite enough power to chase away any gloom. For Jesus, Lord Jesus, is in this very room." As I thought about the color red, I don't know why the Chinese chose that color. But we make red hearts for Valentines Day; Santa's suit is red; and red represents the blood of Christ shed for us. Red, indeed, is the color of the pure love of Christ, charity.

So at this Christmas time when "Baby, it's cold outside", I am warmed by your kindness in providing for body and soul. May I offer my "red pocket" of love to each of you as I share one final thought of HOPE from Bishop McMullin that helped me through this last year. He was quoting Pres. Monson: "At times there appears to be no light at the tunnel's end -- no dawn to break the night's darkness...We feel abandoned, heartbroken, alone. If you find yourself in such a situation, I plead with you to turn to our Heavenly Father in faith. He will lift you and guide you. He will not always take your afflictions from you, but He will comfort and lead you with love through whatever storm you face." (Ensign November 2008 pages 76-77) Heavenly Father gives "red pockets" too.

No comments:

Post a Comment