Friday, October 9, 2009

So Says Christopher

Fire! What kind of emotions does this word bring to your mind and heart? Maybe you immediately envision frantic emergency responders and black smoke. Or do other single words pop into your head, such as "ready...aim..."? Perhaps you associate fire with pink slips, blue slips and unemployment lines. Fire is a bad word, a dangerous word.

However, if you are a "glass half full" type of person, maybe you had more positive thoughts. Have you ever been asked, "Who lit a fire under you?" What about Smores? I just don't think they would be too appealing without a campfire nearby. And I am very grateful for that little pilot light in the furnace that initiates some sort of combustion to produce heat. Fire is a good word, a powerful word.

The next few weeks I want to share with you three of my favorite quotes, all dealing with fire. The first thought comes from Christopher Columbus, who said, "The Lord unlocked my mind, sent me upon the sea, gave me fire for the deed...who can doubt but that the Holy Ghost inspired me?" I love that phrase, "fire for the deed". To me, Christopher was saying that his courage to set out on an unknown course, and the determination to see it to the end was beyond his natural efforts. "Fire" can be equated with other words such as "motivation" and "courage", "patience", "faith", "determination", "passion", and "hope". Some tasks we face in life may come easy to us, while others require a tremendous amount of endurance, optimism, and "fire".

You have been examples to me. I would bet there were many times when Amy was wondering if she had enough "fire for the deed" as she put one foot ahead of the other in the Red Rock Relay. Do you remember Mark and Alan's life threatening experience on King's Peak many years ago? They could testify of their pleadings for "fire for the deed" in seeking medical assistance. Ryan and Ilene must hope for "fire for the deed" constantly as they address the needs of their wards. I also thought of Nathan and Ashley. I'm not sure how much fear accompanied that first day of Junior High. But above all else, I think 7th graders need a little "fire for the deed" to take that giant leap from elementary school. Or maybe, you are like me. When a challenging day lay ahead, I need a Thiokol (ATK) booster rocket to get me out of bed in the morning!

We don't necessarily need a four alarm fire. I remember initiation ceremonies at the dorm as a freshman in college. We were marched through a tunnel underneath the building. It was pitch black. In single file, we wandered for what seemed like hours. To be honest, it was a little unnerving. We would have welcomed even the slightest ray of light to guide us and relieve our phobias. Even the stroke of one single match can make the darkness disappear. Cancer survivors constantly state that they search for a new life, a new direction, a new passion after their illness. They tell of raising thousands of dollars for research; they jump out of airplanes; they quit their jobs and move to Borneo; and they take up belly dancing! I've been anticipating that bonfire of motivation to make meaningful changes in my life lately. Perhaps I need to be satisfied with a little flicker of a match that will encourage me to speak a little kinder, to be patient a little longer, and to be more obedient a little more. "This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine..." That's plenty of "fire for the deed"...for now.

So, next time you find yourself in a fearful place, wondering if you have the strength to face the challenge, go for it! You will find "fire for your deed"...so says Christopher.

No comments:

Post a Comment