Friday, October 16, 2009

Fire #2

It was actually a coincidence that my last Grace Note was published on Columbus Day weekend. Since then, I have been told that not all people consider Chris an inspired man. I won't debate that...I'll leave those discussions to history teachers. But I still maintain that his phrase "fire for the deed" IS inspired.

So here is my "fire" quote number 2. These words were spoken by Pres. Brigham Young as he heard stories of suffering Saints leaving Nauvoo. While at Winter Quarters he encouraged men to go back and offer assistance to those camped along the Mississippi River. He said, "Now is the time to labor. Let the fire of the covenant which you made in the House of the Lord, burn in your hearts, like flame unquenchable." (Ensign, May 2009 page 100).

There is something powerful in a covenant relationship. Both parties have sacrificed something to reach a desired outcome. If both live up to their responsibilities in the covenant, it's a win-win situation. And I think being in a covenant relationship empowers us to do more than we thought we could...it gives us fire for the deed. There may be times when God will literally send angels, superhuman strength, or personal revelation to aid us in our efforts. On the other hand (and mostly in our everyday challenges) God expects us to gather the firewood, dig the pit, rub the sticks together and blow real hard to get the fire going. But that's okay, because we are cub scouts in training...we can do it!

Stories have often been told about parents putting themselves in danger to save a child. Why? Spouses should be "hopelessly devoted" to each other, and no one else. Why? Good people throughout the world, sacrifice personal time and money for charitable causes. Why? We find fire to do that which we feel a strong commitment to. When relationships fail or trials surface, there is ONE covenant relationship we can always count on. I really struggled when I was released from my callings last year. I also felt very scared and fearful for many months. Through all of that, I hoped in priesthood blessings and prayer. I believed in the peace of scripture study. And if my memory is right, I only missed one week of attending church (that was a miracle). My point being: a covenant relationship is a strong motivator...or should be.

One summer, Ann [that's the name in the story...honest] decided to go river rafting. Everyone who signed up for the trip had to learn the basic procedures and safety measures. As the instructor outlined the dangers, Ann became scared. What if her raft capsized or was dashed against the rocks? What if she were thrown into the rapidly churning water and carried downstream before anyone could rescue her? The instructor had one answer to all of Ann's anxious questions: "There is a rope that is attached to the perimeter of the raft. Whatever happens, hold on to that rope. Never let go. Just hold on." And do you know what? An unexpected storm came up and Ann's raft did capsize, but she remembered her instructor's words. She held on to that rope and she survived.

I stared at my friend, wondering what this had to do with me [my cancer]. "Know what your rope is, Myra," she counseled. "And hold on -- to whatever it is. Through whatever happens, just keep holding on." (Chicken Soup for the Breast Cancer Survivor's Soul pages 176-177)


Covenants -- whether they are officially in the form of baptism, temple, marriage or business -- informal connections with friends, family or society -- these are the ropes we hang on to. It's synergistic. And just remember, when you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. And swing! (A thought from Leo Buscaglia).

No comments:

Post a Comment