Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Happiness Calendar

The date was May 18, 1971; a day to live on in our memories. I realize many of you were not even born at that time. But surely, you must have looked down from heaven with excitement and angelic shouts! This was the day that the Utah Stars won the ABA Championship title. I knew...that you knew...this historic date! I have it written down in my Happiness Calendar.

I got the idea of a Happiness Calendar years and years ago from an article in the Readers Digest. You construct a twelve month calendar containing blank squares. In each square you note a few keywords and the year to remind you of a happy event. By the end of your life, you have hundreds and hundreds of wonderful memories.

Since I am doing the writing here, let me share some of my squares with you. February 1, 1985 was the Dale Murphy fireside at Weber State and February 18, 1996 was the Steve Young fireside. February 27, 1974 I received my patriarchal blessing from Grandpa Bennett. March 15, 1979 I attended the rededication of the Logan Temple, even with the cast on my broken leg and crutches. March 30, 1984 was my first date with Jim Robinson (the love of my life...at that time). April 4, 1975 found me in the Salt Lake Tabernacle, just a few feet away from Pres. Kimball as the USU Institute Chorale sang in a session of General Conference. On May 30, 1991 Mom, Dad and I ventured out on our vacation to the church sites around Nauvoo. June 11, 1994 was the Michael Bolton concert. July 16, 1989 I was set apart as a German extraction worker in our stake.

I still remember, like it was yesterday, July 25, 1970 when my sisters took me and a friend to a Bobby Sherman concert. I thought I had died and gone to heaven! Probably the happiest day of my life came on August 2, 1982 when I received notice that I had passed the CPA exam, FINALLY! September 10, 1982 was the day Pres. Reagan came to Hooper and I along with thousands of others crowded the Weber County streets...for what? November 18, 1975 was a royal day. I was crowned Miss Rich Hall. I still have the diamond tiara I wore...worth all of $4.57. And finally the girls' team from Clearfield High beat the boys' team on the Inquiring Editor television program on December 8, 1973.

There were other dates to note, but I realized the "home movie" syndrome might be setting in and you are bored with my slide show. But let me add just one more. July 17, 2010. As of this moment, it is 6:58 a.m. and already I have a happy moment. I was out walking this morning. The blanket of clouds must have been an electric blanket with the temperature turned up to eighty. It was hot. Most of the sky was overcast, but towards the mountains, the clouds were wispy. The sun was attempting to shine through and managed a pink glow around those yellow clouds. It was a beautiful sight. And I realized I have another day on this earth to enjoy. Because...

Yesterday I had a three month checkup. The lab work did not include the tumor marker test, but all other procedures indicated good health. It was an "attitude of gratitude" kind of day. It probably won't be entered on my happiness calendar; nor will this morning's walk. But they were good moments, nonetheless.

And I've had my share of not-so-good days. It is in those times I try to remember Pres. Packer's counsel: "Teach our members that if they have a good, miserable day once in awhile, or several in a row, to stand steady and face them. Things will straighten out." I wonder if maintaining an Unhappiness Calendar would help me see how silly some of my bad days were, and that things really did straighten out just like Pres. Packer said? (By the way, I have one, only one, entry in January! Watch out for that month!)

So may I challenge you to start your own happiness calendar. You can go back and fill in the spaces from your journals or personal history. Or you can go forward from today. If you don't have access to an exact date, print off a few months with miscellaneous squares. Just write in the memory. Start a calendar and maintain it for Family Home Evening each week. Strolls down memory lane can be so wonderful. "Recall it as often as you wish, a happy memory never wears out."

No comments:

Post a Comment