Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Two Dollar Dilemma

I never thought an early morning walk in the neighborhood could result in difficult moral dilemmas! Such was the case this last week. One of my walking routes includes going straight down 6000 South to my church, around the parking lot and back up the road to home. Last Tuesday morning I opted for this route. I had been walking about ten minutes and was ready to cross the street to the church, when I noticed two one-dollar bills laying folded on the sidewalk at my feet. It's amazing how quickly the mind can process facts in a split second. By the time I stopped my forward motion, my brain had already considered several possible courses of action.

Option 1: I wore pants with pockets. Two dollars could easily fit in either pocket to be later spent on one package of Peanut M&M's and a Snickers bar, with pennies left over for my piggy bank. Option 2: I could take the money home and later deliver it to the Roy City Police Department. Let them try to find the owner of pocket change. Option 3: It may be reasonable to take the money and deliver it to a favorite charity. Option 4: I could appoint myself as the legal guardian of the funds and come back to the spot sometime later with a sign requesting the "loser" to call 801-776-4286 to claim their money. Option 5: I could ignore the whole situation. "What money? I didn't see any money!" Option 6 was to continue walking, hoping that divine inspiration would come as I walked around the perimeter of the church. If the money was still there on my way back up the sidewalk, I would know what to do then.

Leaving the dollars where they were, I walked...my conscience debating back and forth. I really hoped the money would miraculously disappear by the time I made my way back. Then I wouldn't have to decide. But, alas, to my disappointment, there was George Washington and his twin brother George Washington staring up at me from the cement. Again, my mind went over the options. Option 1 was never really an option. I am honest enough that I would never pocket the money. Option 2: Realistically, would anyone think to go to the police to see if two dollars had been turned in? No, I don't think so. Besides, I was taught in Seminary to "avoid the appearance of evil" What if someone drove by and saw me pocket the money. They would see me take it but never see me deliver it. Option 3: I had no right to decide whether the Salvation Army or the Make A Wish Foundation deserved the use of someone else's money. Option 4: Probably not smart to publish my telephone number in such a manner. Option 5: If all else fails, do nothing. And that's what I did. I left the money where I first discovered it and went on my way up the road. I will admit, I arrived at this conclusion because I was "chicken" rather than from a sense of moral duty.

The story doesn't end here. As I proceeded up the sidewalk, I had to move over into the grass to let a jogger pass by going the opposite direction. I wondered what he would do when he most assuredly would see where the money was left behind. I gave him ten seconds to reach the spot and then I turned around. Just then, he stopped, bent down, picked up the money and was on his way again. Did he have the same thought process as I? Or did he immediately know the right, or the wrong, thing to do? I'll never know. Now that's the end of the story.

Whether I did right or wrong...it's hard for me to say. I am disappointed in myslef that I couldn't come up with one positive, no-doubt-about-it solution to the two dollar dilemma. The tests of integrity and honesty are sometimes in the gray area, neither black or white. I wonder if I could have made a quicker and better decision if the amount of money was $1,000, or $100, or even $10? But for two dollars...I hope I haven't lost celestial brownie points simply because I couldn't decide!

This would be a great discussion question for Family Home Evening this week. If the Primary children can think of Options 7, 8 or 9, please let me know. Then I will know what to do next time I see a penny in the parking lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment